Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Caterpillar update...

Well yesterday was the first day after we 'caught' the caterpillar. We were playing outside and lo and behold we found one more, then another and then another until the grand total caterpillars found ouside was 5! They are all (but one) hanging under the eaves of the house. The last one is hanging in a plant that I discovered while watering it. This one is much easier for the kids to view because the others are so high up.

The one in the plant (it looks like it's hanging from the red part)


So yesterday all they were doing was hanging from one end like in this picture. They had a bit of silk coming from one end but they weren't moving much. Just hanging.

Just hanging


And today they are fully (or mostly) covered with their chrysallis. But this one is still poking out. It is amazing to watch and the kids are all into it. They don't want to nap because they have to keep care of the caterpillars.

This one is still poking out a bit

This one (below) is fully enclosed-looks lie a butterfly already through the 'shell'

So until next time....when the story of the gulf fritillary caterpillar continues...

3 comments:

Elaine said...

When we were on our camping trip this weekend I was walking along on a hike and noticed that certain branches of a bush were shaking really hard, but not the others. There I found hundreds of caterpillars, all in different stages and it was wild and amazing and I watched for EVER just totally enamored of the whole thing. I only wish Lily had been with me, rather than napping, at the time since Anya was totally unimpressed. Maybe we need to go on a hunt 'round here!

Jen said...

Awesome!! It really is a cool thing! I have never seen the process so it is just as fascinating to me as it is for the kids! I'll be sad when they are gone. A hunt sounds like fun!

ZebraBelly: said...

wow!!! that is just so cool, and I'm jealous of elaine, too!