Saturday, June 24, 2006

Picky picky picky

I have known many picky eaters in my life. Many of them were/are children and only a handful of them are adults. I don't like picky eaters. Unfortunately, I have two picky eaters at my dinner table every night. It drives me insane. I haven't changed the way I cook food, the menu, the spices, their seats. They just won't eat.

We have tried everything to get them to eat dinner... Not feeding them (no snacks) all afternoon from lunch until dinner - doesn't work. Not worrying about it or making a big deal out of it - doesn't work. Forcing them to eat every bite - doesn't work. Making them eat their dinner if they are hungry and ask for food later on - doesn't work. Feeding them with a fork or spoon - doesn't work. Making funny faces out of their food on their plates - doesn't work. Spicing things up and having plain ole food - neither work. Eating earlier...or later - nope! Having them in charge of what they want to eat by having them serve themselves - doesn't work! Putting sugar on it - well we haven't tried this but I'm thinking that it won't work.

Hannah is the worst at it and the most stubborn. She will not eat, if she doesn't want to. Some days she decides that she doesn't want to eat from the beginning and states "I don't feel like eating". She saw this work when Ben had the flu and didn't have the appetite to eat, and thinks that it should be OK all the time.

It is the most frustrating time of the day because they won't eat after I've (or Corey has) cooked a meal. I'm at a loss. We have been having dinner together as a family at the table since Ben was born and we'd like to continue doing it, but if they aren't eating, we are arguing about them needing to eat and it isn't a pleasant experience.

They DO eat lunch and a big breakfast on most mornings and aren't picky about that most of the time. The picky-ness, they save that just for dinner.

I don't like picky eaters and I hope this phase soon goes away!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any advice just feelin for ya, I can't get Lucy to sit at the table most of the time to eat, God forbid we go to a restaurant. When it's just her and I, sometimes I resort to feeding her while watching a movie, I hate myself for setting up such bad habits but if I can't get food in her stomach she will nurse and nurse and nurse. Lately, we've been eating outside, picnic style with some success. Does Hannah wake up in the middle of the night hungry if she doesn't eat dinner?

Elaine said...

This is the kind of thing I ignore. Study after study has shown that the more you focus on making them eat, the less they will eat. Feed them a good lunch and make healthy snacks available. Put good food one th table at dinner time and have them sit, but don't focus on the food at all. You and Corey eat, they can talk or sit quietly, but don't worry about their health. They'll eat when hungry.

That's all I got for you and I really do hope it helps!

ZebraBelly: said...

OH I hear you! I could have written your post. Except that I only have one picky eater and her name is not Hannah. ;)za

ZebraBelly: said...

Heh. The baby just had to get the last word in my previos comment LOL